Thursday, May 6, 2010

Counting Down...

I'm restless.

Five hours to the start of the race and my nerves start to hit. I managed to stay calm through training this whole week, riding my best, hoping that the sound of the whistle blow will bring me back into that rhythm. Hopping on the trainer takes my heart rate back to resting pace, but leaves me worried that my legs won't be able to sustain the effort needed even to hang on with the pack.

It's going to be my first criterium, and first ever bike race, so I'm understandably nervous. But I want this to be a good experience. I want to do my best- I don't want to go in expecting to get left behind because it is my first time... In fact, I daydream I'll shine out there and waste everyone on the field- that somehow racing will unleash a pedaling monster I didn't even know existed within- but reality is not so kind.

Writing it down helps. I watch a few of Sprinter della Casa's youtube videos and get pumped up. I watch MCSpandex's Performance again for a laugh. I read tips on bike forums yet again, and I start to get tired. I feel tired from the anticipation and really start to calm down. Hopefully I can retain this calm up til the race.

Thankfully the criterium is low key, and I'll have a few shop-ride-buddies pulling me through the 35+ category. Or at least I hope. I'm wishing myself luck, and telling myself to ride hard, play my usual game, and to stop counting down to what is likely the beginning of a new racing affliction.

No comments:

Post a Comment